4 people, 1 cup each
- 1kg (8 – 10) ripened, soft tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 g (wholewheat) bread, crusts removed
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml chilled water
- a bit of vinegar
- 2 boiled egg (optional, non vegan)
- Peel the tomatoes and pour them together with garlic in a food processor, adding a little bit of salt.
- Place in a large bowl when smooth.
- Break the bread up into small pieces and add to the tomato mixture.
- Using your hands squish the tomato into the bread, really working the liquid through. Allow it to stand for 15 minutes as the bread soaks up the liquid and tomato flavor.
- Meanwhile get the hard-boiled egg and separate the egg white from the yolk (discard yolk). Roughly dice the cooked egg white.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a food processor, add garlic, olive oil and salt. (You will need this amount of salt as it is a cold soup and anything served cold needs extra seasoning.)
- Slowly add water until the soup is the consistency of thick cream and a pleasing salmon pink color. Chill.
- Serve in bowls finished with (boiled egg, if you don’t want it vegan) a bit of good olive oil and a small dash of vinegar (optional).