- 1.6 L water (for soaking)
- 4 Cups chickpeas, dried
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 Small carrot, diced
- 1 Stalk celery, diced
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tsp ginger, diced
- 1/4 Green bell pepper, diced
- 4.5 Cups water
- 1 Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed
- 1 Tsp coriander seed
- 1 Tsp thyme, fresh
- 1/4 Cup cilantro, fresh, chopped (if any)
- 1/4 Tsp black pepper (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- Soak chickpeas in the 1.6 L of water overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
- Place the oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger, and green bell pepper. Sauté this mixture until the onions have softened.
- Add spices, tomatoes, chickpeas, and 4.5 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender.
Excellent low cholesterol, low saturated fat, healty heart, healthy weight
This dish is excellent served with brown rice, flat whole bread, and plain yogurt.