Yes. I have bought a dehydrator, for the happiness of the family. Even if my partner is still unsure about what this big white thing is, I am going to convince him using my 10 GOLDEN REASONS. And of course, I'm also sharing them with you!!
- Food dehydration is SIMPLE! Basic dehydrators can be picked up on Craigslist or eBay. You don’t need anything fancy. My dehydrator is very basic, but it does the job just fine. Unlike canning, you don’t need a lot of additional equipment, and the internet is filled with websites that give directions for dehydrating every type of food imaginable!
- Dehydrated fruits and veggies have intense, INTENSE FLAVORS! Each thin slice of dehydrated tomato packs a wallop of flavor that you don’t find in a fresh slice. Something amazing happens to the flavor once all the water has been removed.
- It offers SOMETHING DIFFERENT in the healthy snack category. My clients’ kids are loving the applesauce fruit leather they made themselves. They never get bored because one day it’s apple-cinnamon leather, another day it’s apple-peach leather, and a tasty apple-strawberry version is on tap for tomorrow! A can of applesauce provides sheets and sheets of fruit leather, one of the easiest snacks in the world to pack in a lunch bag or backpack.
- Something is ALWAYS IN SEASON! The best bargains in produce are usually found when a particular fruit or vegetable is in season. Farmer’s markets, CSA, fruit stands, and pick-your-own-produce farms can offer amazing bargains. All that fresh goodness is easily transformed into dehydrated versions at a cost far less than commercially dehydrated foods.
- VARIETY! One day you can dehydrate apples and the next, pasta sauce! Cook up several pounds of ground beef and turn them into, “hamburger rocks”! When you find #10 cans of a fruit or veggie on sale, pour out the liquid, and place the food on your dehydrator trays for a few hours. Bags of frozen vegetables dehydrate just as easily.
- Dehydrated foods DON’T LOSE THEIR NUTRITIONAL VALUE and maintain water soluble vitamins and minerals.
- SAVE MONEY. Dehydrate your own herbs and you’ll never have to pay a lot for them again: you can buy in bulk and store in the freezer.
- NO MORE watch your food ROTTING IN THE FRIDGE.
- SAVE SPACE: If space is an issue, dehydrated foods are your friend! Twenty pounds of fresh tomatoes filled two large glass jars in my pantry once they were sliced and dehydrated!
- TIME FRIENDLY: you can use dehydrated food to speed up preparation time. NO MORE RUN TO THE GROCERY STORE AT THE LAST MINUTE for carrots or onions or potatoes or celery or green beans if you have jars of the dehydrated versions in your pantry.
Are you ready to experiment???